(Disclaimer: Please keep in mind that InpatientRehabCenters.net aims to provide you with the most accurate and up-to-date information on each insurance carrier and their coverage for addiction treatment and rehab insurance benefits but policy changes and differences between insurance policies can change. It’s important to check with our helpline representatives by calling 1-800-552-0697 to determine what coverage level your Humana insurance will provide for drug or alcohol rehab prior to committing to any program)
Drug and alcohol detox is one of the covered services that are mandatory to be included on all health insurance policies as a result of the Healthcare Act. This means that Humana insurance will cover specific types of drug and alcohol rehab, including detox and certain types of inpatient or outpatient counseling services under most insurance policies.
If you hold a Humana insurance policy for yourself or your loved ones, it’s important to check the actual coverage levels before deciding on treatment. We can help you by providing information and answers to the questions you have both about drug or alcohol rehab and about your insurance coverage.
Does Humana Cover Rehab?
Humana will cover the cost of inpatient drug or alcohol rehab up to a certain point depending on your insurance policy. First, you must determine which type of policy you have:
- Humana HMO: This type of rehab insurance coverage will allow you to select from a network of doctors, specialists, or rehab centers and if you choose to seek the help of a rehab center that is NOT within this network you will be faced with paying full price for the services that are rendered to you.
- Humana PPO: This type of rehab insurance coverage will allow you to select from a wider network of facilities and if you choose to seek the help of a rehab center that is not in-network, you will pay a higher cost for your care versus choosing in-network providers, but you will not pay full price.
Following your plan referral rules is very important. Most HMO policies require a referral from a primary care provider in order to see a specialist such as a counselor or therapist or rehab center. Likewise, many PPO coverage options do not require referrals, but this varies based on the actual Humana health coverage policy that you have. Check with your provider, or call our helpline at 1-800-552-0697 to find out if your plan covers inpatient drug or alcohol rehab.
Humana will cover most levels of care in drug addiction treatment but you will require prior authorization in order to receive the following benefits:
- Mental health treatment
- Substance abuse treatment
- Inpatient rehab
- Outpatient rehab
- Partial hospitalization rehab
- Acute detox
Failure to get prior authorization before you receive these types of treatment services could leave you stuck with the bill so be sure to talk with your treatment provider, or insurer, BEFORE these services are rendered.
How Long will Humana Cover Inpatient Addiction Treatment?
The length of time that Humana drug rehab insurance will cover depends on a variety of factors. Generally the process goes something like this:
- You visit your primary care provider to discuss your addiction with him or her (don’t worry, this is completely confidential).
- The primary care physician will provide you with a referral to treatment.
- You find a rehab center that accepts the insurance and has a treatment bed open for you.
- You are admitted into treatment and a specialist will assess you and determine how long you will likely require residential care.
- This information is sent to your insurance provider and they approve the XX number of days that you can stay in rehab.
In some cases, a policy outlines the number of covered days in rehab directly, and in other cases there is some discretion left to the treatment providers to determine what’s “best” for the patient. Again, this all depends on your policy details and can vary from one plan to the next.
Are Specialty Programs and Luxury Rehabs Covered by Humana?
Humana requires a prior authorization and referral from a primary care physician in order for patients to receive help for addiction to drugs or alcohol. As such, most types of Humana drug and alcohol rehab coverage do NOT offer any assistance for specialty programs or luxury rehab options that are not “medically necessary” for recovery.
This does not mean that you cannot possibly get experimental treatment, specialty care or the help of a luxury inpatient drug or alcohol rehab under your Humana coverage, just that the services that are NOT deemed to be medically necessary may not be covered so you could be faced with higher out-of-pocket expenses than you would expect with full-insurance coverage on your side.
Some of the amenities that you may wish for, that are likely not covered by Humana include:
- Gourmet meals
- Swimming pools and hot tubs at the rehab facility
- Private bedrooms or living quarters
- Specialty therapy such as acupuncture
- Massage therapy
Call our helpline at 1-800-552-0697 to find out if your Humana insurance policy will cover the rehab center of your choice, or what we can do to help you get the treatment you need to get yourself back on track and start the process of recovery from addiction to drugs or alcohol.
Inpatient vs. Outpatient Rehab Using Humana Insurance Coverage
Your Humana insurance for addiction treatment will likely cover both inpatient and outpatient rehab. Deciding between the two requires your own understanding of the benefits of each type of treatment and an assessment of where you are in terms of addiction severity. Here’s a look at how inpatient and outpatient rehab differ:
- Inpatient rehab provides around-the-clock care whereas outpatient rehab offers scheduled care.
- Inpatient rehab requires you to live in a rehab center while you receive counseling and therapy whereas outpatient rehab provides you with counseling and then you return home to live when you’re not receiving treatment.
- Outpatient rehab provides counseling, therapy, and support but generally does not provide detox or medical care whereas inpatient rehab is able to provide both of these services in addition to counseling, therapy and support.
- Outpatient rehab is generally a second or third step in the treatment process following detox and inpatient treatment that must first take place in order to ensure the best chance for recovery.
To find out whether your Humana insurance policy will cover inpatient treatment for your addiction, you’ll have to closely review your policy and determine the processes necessary for prior authorization and approval of this type of care. This can be a challenge to do on your own—insurance policies can be difficult to understand and tend to include a lot of legal jargon that further complicate the ability to make sense of them. We can help you, call 1-800-552-0697 for a free insurance benefits check and to be connected with an inpatient rehab center that accepts your Humana coverage.
Paying for Services that Insurance Will Not Cover
While your insurance may cover 70% or more of your treatment at an inpatient rehab center, there could still be a gap between the amount services cost and the amount covered by your health plan. This should not stop you from getting treatment for addiction to drugs or alcohol, but you should be prepared to come up with creative alternatives to ensure you can afford the care that you need.
Paying for services such as luxury amenities, certain medications, or treatments that are not medically necessary as well as paying for co-pays and deductibles that are part of your insurance coverage may include:
- Using a credit card to cover the costs.
- Taking out a healthcare credit card which may have lower interest rates.
- Using borrowed funds from friends or family.
- Financing through the rehab center.
- Asking for treatment at a facility that offers a sliding fee structure in which you pay for services based on your ability to pay.
Humana Insurance Verification
Verifying your insurance with Humana is the first step to getting help. You can verify your coverage on your own, but you’ll get through the process more quickly with professional help. Call 1-800-552-0697 to talk with a specialist about your insurance plan. We’ll explain your policy to you and provide a free insurance benefits check so that you can get the treatment that you desperately need and deserve.
If you’re calling for a loved one, we can verify that your policy will cover their treatment or we can help you to understand what steps must be taken to ensure proper coverage. 24 hours a day, 7 days a week we are here to answer any questions that you have about treatment, insurance coverage, and the care that is available to help you overcome addiction.
Finding the Best Inpatient Rehab that Accepts Humana
For help finding the best care you can get with your Humana insurance policy, call to speak with our representatives about your unique situation. Each case is different. Your addiction, recovery, and the coverage that you receive could vary just based on your individual needs so it’s important NOT to compare your treatment or coverage to that of a friend or family member. This is YOUR recovery—embrace it.