When you first decide to enter rehab for an addiction to drugs or alcohol you’re already faced with a number of important decisions: where should I go for help? How long will treatment take? Will it hurt? What are the best inpatient rehab options for me?
While the primary concern should not be “WHERE” You go for help but rather “WHAT” treatment is best for you, it’s not uncommon to get hung up on the question of where to go. You’re not alone in this fight, and if you’re wondering whether you should travel away from home to get treatment for addiction or if a facility in your hometown may be ideal for your needs, we can help.
Call 1-888-605-7779 and we’ll guide you through the process of finding and choosing the best inpatient rehab center for yourself or a loved one. Our helpline is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to assist you.
Finding the Best Fit
Often times, the idea of seeking help far from home doesn’t even come to mind when you first seek care for an addiction to drugs or alcohol-WHY? Because the idea of being taken away from your comfort zone, far from friends and family and the things you know best, can be scary and intimidating. But this doesn’t mean that choosing a drug and alcohol rehab center outside of your hometown isn’t the best choice—in fact, sometimes the best fit for treatment actually IS far from home and out of your comfort zone.
Instead of focusing solely on location, consider the following when looking for the best rehab center for your needs:
- Whether your insurance will cover your treatment at the facility of your choice.
- What amenities are offered and how they fit into your needs.
- What the track record is of the facility – do people report long-term recovery after the program?
- How much treatment will cost.
- How long treatment will take.
- Types of therapy and counseling offered at the facility.
You see, location IS an important factor in this list but it’s not the ONLY factor. Finding a rehab center that’s in your insurance network, offers the amenities and treatment options that are important to your needs, and will provide adequate treatment care to help you get sober are all very important elements of the equation. Location should be one of many elements that you consider when seeking help for an addiction to drugs or alcohol.
Why Choose a Location Far from Home?
So why DOES it make sense to choose inpatient rehab that isn’t located close to your home? There are a number of reasons to make this choice. First of all, traveling to a new city or state can be an adventure that opens new horizons for you providing hope in early recovery. Individuals who travel for rehab have access to a wider array of treatment options and can be more selective when making decisions about the types of treatment that are best for their individual needs.
You can also expect the following benefits from seeking help at a rehab center that is NOT located close to home:
- A changed mindset, towards a new place, a new life, and new hope in recovery. If you believe you can recover, and you start over in a new place where recovery if your focus, you may find it easier to stay on track.
- Distance between yourself and the situations that may otherwise cause you to relapse. Removing yourself from situations in which potential triggers could damage your recovery can help you to stay sober long-term.
- Separation from the friends, family members and loved ones who may have contributed to your addiction unknowingly or who you may otherwise be codependent on.
- Reduced temptation to leave since you are far from home and have less ability to just walk out of rehab without repercussion—being far from home makes it more difficult for a friend or family member to pick you up and can increase your chance of completing the rehabilitation program.
- Increased privacy since you’re in another city or state. The chances of someone knowing who you are if you seek help far from home are slim. Knowing that your privacy is protected can make you feel more comfortable in recovery.
For help finding an inpatient rehab center, call our helpline at 1-888-605-7779 to speak with a treatment advisor. We’re available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to assist you in the recovery and healing process.
When Does it Make Sense to Choose Inpatient Rehab Close to Home?
In some situations, it may actually make sense to choose a rehab center that’s close to your home. For instance, if you have young children or other loved ones that could not otherwise visit you far away from home or if you would not legitimately be able to get the best care by seeking help far away, then it may be more suitable for you to consider a rehab center in your hometown or a nearby city.
Likewise, if you will be going into outpatient rehab instead of an inpatient program, a facility that’s close to home is vital to your healing. WHY? Because treatment MUST be easily accessible for you. This means that if you’re going to attend outpatient rehab and you’re expected to be there on a daily or weekly basis, choosing a facility that’s close to your home or place of work is vital to ensure that you can continue to get to rehab without a struggle.
Another reason you may want to choose rehab that’s close to home is for the support. If you don’t have friends or family locally, you may not receive as much support as you need. Choosing treatment close to home allows friends and family to remain more involved in your recovery process and may improve the chances for long-term healing for some people.
If you’re still struggling to figure out whether you should choose treatment that is close to home or far away, we can help. Every case of addiction is unique and we understand that your situation may be very different from the situation of the next individual. For help figuring this all out, and to determine where the best inpatient rehab center is for you, call 1-888-605-7779 and we’ll get you started on the road to recovery.